The DoD SkillBridge - Internship allows Active Duty Service Members who are within 180 days of separation to accept internships with a company in their desired industry and/or career field.
- Service Member must be within 180 days of approved retirement or separation.
- Participation depends on unit and mission requirements; approval is granted through command authorization and the Transitioning Service Members (TSMs) Education Center.
CareerSource Okaloosa Walton’s Role:
Our role is to help connect TSMs with employers throughout Okaloosa and Walton counties. CareerSource provides individualized career guidance: local labor market information, occupational trends throughout the region, assistance with translating military skills, and creating/tailoring a resume.
Our staff has relationships with employers throughout the bi-county region and will connect with them to share your resume and credentials and to identify possible internship opportunities.
How to Participate:
The following steps MUST be completed for the TSM to participate an internship:
- Determine Eligibility by contacting your Education Center and obtaining information on the DoD SkillBridge - Mandatory counseling/briefing and a copy of the Vetting Checklist.
- Explore internship opportunities by completing the CareerSource Okaloosa Walton Intake Form and looking at the current internship opportunities (Note: we will contact employers outside of those registered to participate).
- Once matched with an employer, have the employer complete your vetting checklist (provided by your military installations Education Center). Upon completion, submit the vetting checklist to your Education Center for processing and approval.
- Begin training.
For questions concerning the DoD SkillBridge - Internship Process, please contact your Education Center.
For TSMs Moving Out of the Area:
For TSMs that would like to participate in an internship under the DoD SkillBridge program outside of either Okaloosa or Walton Counties:
- www.servicelocator.org will provide the nearest local workforce board (the equivalent to CareerSource). Contact the workforce board nearest to where you will be relocating to and ask for the Local Veterans’ Employment Representative. Ask if they can connect you to an employer who would offer you an internship under the DoD SkillBridge Program.
- Contact HireMilitary, https://www.hiremilitary.us/. Once the application is complete employers can see your application/resume and if they choose you (may have to do an interview) and you do more than 30 days of an internship, they pay HireMilitary a fee. It’s all free to you.
- Call companies/organizations and tell them about the program and ask if they could take on interns under the DoD SkillBridge Program. They can find the documentation on the internet. The information is also available at the bottom this webpage.
*There are opportunities outside of those listed above--it is at the Employers discretion that their opportunities are publically listed on this page
Companies interested in participating in this program, please visit our Employer Page
For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or:
Hurlburt Field - Jerrod Suber at (850) 833 - 7587 ext. 2133
Eglin AFB and 7th SFG - Melissa Ehlers at (850) 651-2315 ext. 2113